In 1918, Carl Kaefer founded a company specialising in the supply of insulation material and services to the shipbuilding industry. His idea was to use peat to insulate the walls of the cold storage stores – the vision of an efficient energy economy was born.
The company’s rapid growth proved that Carl Kaefer had recognised the sign of the times. Soon, new markets had been developed and offices established all over the world.
Since then, KAEFER has become a leading provider for the most professional integrated services and solutions for the Industry, Marine & Offshore, and Construction business worldwide. Carl Kaefer’s idea has stayed relevant for generations and now guides the company on its path to a successful future.
In 2012, C&D became wholly owned by KAEFER, and KAEFER Ltd was born.
- 1996: C&D Insulation changed ownership; this has allowed the good base previously developed to be expanded. Whilst the Power-Process and Petro-Chemical business is continuing to grow, the Company now has the capacity and has indeed achieved growth into the Offshore / Marine and Fabrication markets. A new factory/facility was established at Jarrow in 1997 to allow considerable development of these markets. In 1998 a new office was established at Broxburn to service the growing workload in Scotland and in particular to provide a scaffolding service.
- 2001: The Company changed its name to C&D Industrial Services as a more reflective name of the varied works we now offer.
- 2002: KD Scaffolding, in the Northeast, was bought by C&D to increase the scaffolding capabilities of the business.
- 2005: Holt Industrial Services, was acquired by C&D to increase the scaffolding and thermal insulation capabilities of the business.
- 2006: The Power Gen Division expanded and opened an Office in the Northwest (Stockport), to cater for clients in this region.
- 2007: KAEFER purchased 51% of C&D’s Shares. The KAEFER Group is one of the largest international insulation and scaffolding companies working throughout the world, (their website address is www.kaefer.com). KAEFER have a long history and experience of being innovative andsupportive on major projects and they were our joint venture partners on the South Hook LNG Project, which led to this union.
- 2008: The Power Gen Division moved from the Mansfield Office into new premises at South Normanton, Derbyshire, along with the Stockport Office who also moved to new premises at Irlam, Manchester.
- 2009: The Offshore Division also acquired new business and as a result, set up a Marine Division in Melsham, Wiltshire.
- 2012: Due to continued expansion, the Power Gen Division acquired new premises at West Malling, Kent and Newport, Gwent.
- 2012: KAEFER acquired 100% of C&D Industrial Services Limited on the 29th June 2012.
- 2013: KAEFER purchased Opus Industrial Services Limited a provider of numerous services including rope access and fire proofing.
- 2016: KAEFER C&D rebrand to KAEFER Limited.